Tuesday, April 19, 2011

edmodo & social networking

Edmodo is a new resource to me as well! It was pretty easy to sign up and connect with others. I could see a benefit in using it to network because students can access it from within school computer labs and at home. However, as a Fine Arts Department, we recently created a 'fan page' on Facebook. I haven't used it extensively, but would probably do so before Edmodo. I realize you cannot have back and forth conversation with a 'fan page', but adding comments to the class blog or via Voicethread (love it) would serve the same purpose. As a host, both Facebook and Blogspot lend to a broader audience being a familiar name with high traffic. Voicethread is so novel in its format that I think students would enjoy it more than Edmodo.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your assessment of Edmodo and how other sites have more name recognition and are more popular with students. I would love to see somebody who actually got really into Edmodo and used it for their class-- it would take a lot of work, updating, and training of students, but it has the potential to be really amazing. But again, it's definitely not for everybody!

    ReplyDelete